ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pj1974
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Which best flash for my Canon 7D?
Mar 22, 2011

Hello friends

I have been working some overtime and have an 'extra pay packet' coming my way soon. I will be putting some to very worthwhile causes (eg helping Japan's needs, my church, mission work and other charities). I also hope to buy my first external flash unit.

Since getting my first DSLR (Canon 350D) in 2005, I've not had a flash unit. I have used a few from friends, mainly Canon 430EX and 580EX. I also have a Canon 7D which I've had for some time now. I'm tempted to buy a Canon 580EXII flash unit (price is ok for me) - but if I can get more bang for my buck (eg another brand that has more power, better interface, richer feature set, etc) - I'm open to that.

Generally I seem to be very happy with my Canon lenses & accessories, and like the idea of ensuring full compatibility. (I have a Sigma 10-20mm lens which has a very minor decentring issue, but I can work around that).

The other main lenses I have and those that I think I'll use the flash most with on my Canon 7D are the Canon 15-85mm, Canon 100mm macro and Canon 70-300mm L. I guess the situations that I'll mainly use it are: wildlife, 'events' (eg camps and church functions) and occasionally portrait. I'm not a 'studio' person (generally preferring natural light & outdoors - but I know there's a place for flash and indoor & studio work too). Also I am not looking to go to any professional paid work like weddings, paid portrait.

But I do take my photography seriously (as a hobby). I also have a few other Canon lenses, eg 28-135mm, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm. I have an inexpensive but practical enough macro flash ring for close up / macro work. It's a $30 Chinese made version which I'm happy enough with.

There are various people on these forums whom I have seen use external flash to improve nature shots (eg highlight colours of birds / wildlife, flowers, etc). I know I still have a lot to learn with flash, but I do understand the basics and principles.

Also, do they all flashes have the same infrared / focus assist capabilities (eg power, ability, functionality)? That would be also a HUGE selling point for me - for example when I'm taking shots in very low light and I want to use the focus beam function to achieve AF (but NOT fire the actual flash).

So I very much look forward to hearing from you with your thoughts and advice (please list pros and cons where you can) of what flash I could get. I am glad the 7D can remotely fire flashes from it's built-in flash. I already have a good Manfrotto tripod (and cheaper one).

My budget is up to about $700 Aus (the US $ is around parity with the Aus $ at the moment). Thanks in advance for your posts and suggestions about external flash units for my 7D and various lenses (and the 'why'!)

Paul

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow