Started Mar 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zane Paxton
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,937Gear list
Like?
D2x User upgraded to the D7000
Mar 22, 2011

I've had the D7000 for a few weeks now and I like the results. There is a res bump that is subtle but evident, but the real benefit is the increased dynamic range and lower noise on par with the D3x. As a bonus, its about 1/2 the weight of the brick-like D2x. There are loads of new bells and whistles as one might expect after four generations of improments over the last six years. The downside is that I've had to invest in new stuff that cost more than the camera... SD cards, 67mm filters rather than the 77mm I have now, new lighter & smaller bag, Thom's guidebook, and some other goodies like a new lens.

I played the Japanese earthquake card (gotta buy one before they disappear for a long while) with the wife and it worked to get the camera, LOL. Ssssssssshhh! Did I say that?

I bought the 16-85mm DX lens as a "walk around lens" and I like it. My 28-70mm AFS is a tad bit sharper but the newer lens has far less CA and the VR is useful. I tried a 3 second shot with it and it was repectable. I have a 1/10th second exposure that is quite sharp. It makes my trusty 17-35mm AFS look very soft in the corners and lower contrast in general. The extra bit of wider angle at 16mm is useful, but there is some minor pincushion distortion. No issues with focusing as some have noted in the D7000 Forum;mysense is to clearly understand what it is focusing on and why goes a long way to solving focusing issues.

The strategy was that it is a definite upgrade to the D2x and will be fine until both a new flagship comes out and I can actually aford one with the needed bevvy of new glass to make it sing. My immediate plan is to use the D7000 for a trip to Europe where I can travel VERY light and also appear to not be going crazy with photography when vacationing with my better half. I'm thinking of just bringing a table-top tripod that I picked up, but I may regret that, we'll see....

So far I haven't found much of anything that concerns me with the camera. There is a bit of recalibtating it's capabilities into my head so that I can use it as effortlessly as I did the D2x. After six years of use the D2x was like an extention of my hands and eyes, a sort of a mind meld where the camera disappears as a distraction and there was only seeing.

Here's a few recent shots:

Nikon D7000 ,Nikkor AF-S DX 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
1/100s f/8.0 at 30.0mm iso100 Polarizer

I would have had to use the 2/stop ND Grad to get the sky this nice with the D2x. taken at 4:28PM

15s f/8.0 at 26.0mm iso100
The last shot of the day, Taken 20 minutes after sunset on the way back home

Here's one from the D2x. The D7000 has more shadow detail with far less noise.
Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S
1/250s f/5.6 at 28.0mm iso100

1/80s f/11.0 at 31.0mm iso100

A challenging high tonal range shot that ithe D7000 pulled off with ease. There is more useful deatil in the shadows to be had, but I liked the black background in this shot. The D7000's tonal range capabilities helped here.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Zane
http://www.pbase.com/devonshire
Nikon D2x
NAPP Member

'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments it takes our breath away.” ~ Anonymous

Zane Paxton's gear list:Zane Paxton's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow