D3100, bracketing, landscape photos, and HDR... HELP!

Started Mar 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
to3033
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
D3100, bracketing, landscape photos, and HDR... HELP!
Mar 21, 2011

Hi all,

I am on the cusp of opening up my D3100 and using it, but some last-minute reviews and issues have me wavering a bit.

My big, big issue right now is that there is no autobracketing for exposure on the D3100.

I really like the effects of HDI and I want to do some of it - the nighttime results i've seen are lovely. I gather I can still get HDI by manually adjusting exposure and using a tripod to take 3 different pictures (so long as there isn't much change in the image over the time it takes to capture the 3 photos).

However, this segues into my next major concern about the lack of bracketing: the usefulness of HDR when taking landscape photos during the day. I'm a relatively new to the technical side of photography, so pardon my explanation: Many times with my P&S camera, when you're taking landscape pictures in full sunlight, the camera will "blacken" out the darker components below the horizon - i figure it does this since the exposure metering is taking its cues from the bright sun. So, the effect is that I get an over-dark out picture (similarly, if you "trick" the P&S by getting the exposure level and then re-composing the picture, your image will be washed out). I gather that HDR can be used in such a way that, by taking multiple exposures, you will eliminate this problem once you compose your 3-into-1 HDR image. If that's accurate, and if DSLRs suffer the same under/over exposure issues, then would I want to take close to 100% of my pictures in a method that would allow me the opportunity to get nice pictures all of the time (instead of having to set up a tripod and manually adjust exposure after every new view)?

Hopefully, I've explained my thoughts well enough for you to understand the concerns that I have about a lack of bracketing?

In short, how big of a deal is it that there is no bracketing on the D3100, especially since I anticipate doing mostly nature/landscape (i.e. not macro nature) photography. (I would also be getting a circular polarized lens filter if that helps the analysis)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow