Volunteering in Japan. How?

Started Mar 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ianz28
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,379Gear list
Like?
Re: Just read these comments after a few days' absence and want to
In reply to Corkcampbell, Mar 20, 2011

Corkcampbell wrote:

apologize for my rather strongly-worded comments earlier. I don't want to impugn anyone's desire to help in the tragedy, just want to remind people that voluntarism begins at home. I also stand behind my idea that Japan needs less foreign bodies (using up resources and contributing little) than other kinds of help.

As for the poster who called me an A-hole, he is correct (in that I am an A-hole). However, in this particular thread, I really do believe in my comments. I live in this part of the world, and respect the Japanese people's ability to recover.

Thanks for the comment, Maitani.

I accept your apology and offer one in return.

My comments were harsh and quickly delivered.

As I stated earlier I lived in Japan for 2 years and also have great respect for and knowledge of the country and their culture.

I also lived in South Korea for 2 years up near the DMZ while serving in the U.S. Army.

I have been to China, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Taiwan. (a few of these on multiple occasions.)

Perhaps if I had explained some of this information in the original post you would see and understand that I can commit to extended time-frames and that I have no problems adapting to difficult and trying situations.

I'm still not giving up on the idea that I could assist in Japan at some point in time in the future. If it doesn't end up being Japan there will be another natural disaster somewhere else in the world. When that one arrives I'm sure I won't need to seek information on a forum.

Ian

ianz28's gear list:ianz28's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow