wide apertures - waste of money?

Started Mar 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Fritz Byle
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: wide apertures - waste of money?
In reply to mazzuccato, Mar 20, 2011

I also had read the letter some time ago. There is no doubt that the data is real, although there are no error bars presented, so we don't know how confident they are in said data.

Question: Does it matter? Am I really concerned that I "lose" less than 1/3 stop of light at f/1.4 on by 5D?
Answer: Nope.

Let's talk a little about "gaming the system." The author's wording implies that there is intentional deceit, malicious intent, on the part of the manufacturers. Another interpretation is that the manufacturers are compensating for the (known) light loss by raising gain a little, so that the photographer gets the response (s)he expects. Purely a data-driven engineering approach, and the only approach they have available to solve the problem, short of design changes to the sensor.

Finally, as others have pointed out, light gathering is not everything. Perceived optical performance is a combination of many factors, some objective (sharpness) other subjective (bokeh). You be the final judge.

I for one will not give up my 24/1.4 or 50/1.4, nor even my ol' Zeiss 75/1.5 Biotar.
--

'Life is pleasant, death is peaceful; it's the transition that's troublesome' - Isaac Asimov

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow