ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoJeffNJ
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
5D MK II and Noise Reduction
Mar 20, 2011

Hi All,

Longtime 20D user (6 yrs) and I recently decided to "bite the bullet" on the 5D MK II (Friday actually). I decided to try and figure out how it works compared to the 20D, so I read everything I could, and then decided to shoot some "normal" shots. In this case, they are some indoor shots--ballroom dancing. I'm shooting RAW with the 24-105 L and was playing around with exposures. I'm generally shooting @ F4, shutter speed between 100 and 160, and playing with the ISO between 2000 and H2 (For giggles). I used to shoot this with a flash at 5.6, 100, 400 ASA with generally good results.

When using the 5DMK2, I got generally good EXPOSURE around 5000-6400, but found the noise.. well.. noisy. I use Lightroom 3 for my digital darkroom program and was wondering the following:

1 - Any suggestions on your experience when the noise is just abhorrent?

2 - Is there a better software for handling the noise -- i.e. DXO's Optics Pro for example?
3 - Any thoughts in general about using this camera well?

I've shot everything from my old Konicas up until my new upgrade and generally do a fairly good job. I know the best way to learn a camera is time and screaming, but I thought I'd cheat a little and acquire so additional knowledge from the gang here--I've always found these forums helpful.
Regards,
Jeff

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow