PL 25mm 1.4 vs ZD 14-54 @ 25mm

Started Mar 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
nugat
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
Zuiko vs Leica tests
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Mar 19, 2011

I have it resolved for myself (on various evidence) that Zuiko Digital is as good or better glass than Leica--when at the same AOV/aperture. (I have E5 and most of Zuiko and M8 and quite a lot of M-glass). However Leica goes in its Summilux line up to f1.4, Zuiko never. Also Leica-M covers full frame (43mm image circle) while Zuiko 4/3 (21.62mm image circle). On the other hand Zuiko being varifocal is often as good as Leica being a prime. Well, we don't have a 25/1.4 zuiko. Th ePanaleica 25/1,4 is the next best thing. I personally use 90% of the time the 12-60 on my E5. I believe it to be the best walkabout glass/body combination. It beats my D700+24-120VR2 (gather dust since). With that combo I take with me 50/2 and 25/1.4, when I need the big apertures. I also love my 14-35/2 but it's simply too big and heavy for trips. I use it mostly close to home on one-day exursions. Same with 150/2.

Lenstip.com tested most of the glass on E3. Below some charts for everybody to draw his own conlusions. Go to lenstip for full reviews. 25/1.4 is good glass, I believe a similar zuiko prime would be better. Olympus made a choice and put out the 14-35 instead.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow