Started Mar 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,711Gear list
Like?
X100 macros at f2 look "hazy"
Mar 19, 2011

F2 looks pretty good to me, except for a few samples at very short distances. Check the watch shots at the bottom of the page in the ephotozine review at http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-x100-15857 .

The f2 shot has a hazy look that doesn't look like poor resolution, poor focus, or motion blur. It almost looks like the cause is internal reflections off the surfaces of the lens elements, but that's just speculation. The f2.8 photo of the watch shows the effect too. Also, someone posted a photo here a while ago that had a similar look.

If someone who has an X100 could take some f2 shots at 10cm, that would be great. Since the DOF at f2 and 10cm is almost non existant, the photo should be of a flat surface. Also, if f2 or f2.8 macros have already been posted somewhere, I'd appreciate a link.

Given the minimal DOF, f2 will not be used often at macro distances, so this is not a critical concern. But it would be interesting to determine if the effect happens each time, and if so, why.
--
Jeff

My cat, who likes to sprawl on my keyboard, is responsible for all typos, misspellings, factual errors, and faulty logic in my posts.

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow