Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
F Reyes
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?
Mar 18, 2011

Hi! Just a minor correction, I guess... the CCK does support card readers, but it's very picky. I have a cheap $5 reader that works for CF cards, but when I insert an SD card into the same reader (it's a multi-card), it refuses to read. I also have another CF reader that it won't recognize. I don't know about USB sticks, though... that might require a jailbreak. I read in another site that Apple reduced the power supplied to the port in a recent update, so stuff that used to work before stopped working.

I find that the iPad, probably even in 64GB, is a bit too limited in storage capacity to be viable as a photo vault. My average shooting day fills up an 8GB card (on a 5D2, around 300 RAW images, plus a whole bunch of fun shots in med jpg for facebook purposes), so a 5-day trip would be 40GB. Should fit in 64GB, but I only have a 32GB, so that didn't work out well for me. So I ended up bringing 5 cards, one for each day.

What I did find nice was uploading the pics for the day to the iPad then viewing it there. Works great for travelling in groups, as you can pass it around the group to view. But because of my limited space, I had to delete everything right after. I wish there was an option to not import the RAW file so I could just keep the JPGs of the whole trip on the iPad and upload to facebook or whatever from there, but import the RAW files for Lightroom directly from the CF cards.

Oh well.

Thanks for the insight!

-- hide signature --

Francisco

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow