Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AronAD
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Elph 300 HS mini review
Mar 18, 2011

Just got the Elph 300 a few days ago. I already have a t2i and S90 and this is intended to replace my SD780. My expectations for this camera are to serve as a small & light travel camera, use for biking or when I want to take snapshots where portability is more important that image quality. I decided to upgrade primarily because of the 24mm lens and 1080p video mode.

My initial reactions are that the key features are indeed really nice. The wide angle lens is miles ahead of the 32mm lens on the SD780. Video resolution is great too, and I especially like that the camera will adjust focus and you can zoom during the video.

However, there are some clear downsides. Image quality is inferior to the SD780 that preceeding this camera by two generations. The CMOS sensor clearly has more noise at base ISO and image output is more flat compared to the SD780, A few tweaks to the default color mode helped address my color concerns, but this is definitely not a pixel peeper's camera. The lens also yields strongly soft areas on the sides which is a somewhat expected limitation of having such a wide, 5x lens in a small package. However, the softness is clealy more of an issue than the camera it is replacing. There is also substantial fringing - stongly apparent on white and high contrast surfaces. Also, the camera is actually a tad larger than the SD780 which, while a very small increase, is a concern since this is my 'small, go anywhere' camera.

So overall the camera was a bit more of a clear step down from the SD780 in terms of image quality than I was expecting. That small CMOS sensor and wide, 5x lens really do undermine what is otherwise a pretty good package. As such, it isn't an obvious choice to actually replace the two generation old SD780, but is only marginally better largely because of the great utility of that 24mm lens. I'll likely keep it since I have the S90 for high quality stills from a small camera, but was hoping for a little more overall from the 300 HS.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow