Started Mar 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
Portrait Innovation pricing - wow!
Mar 17, 2011

I am tryihg to figure out my portrait pricing and when going online to check what studios charge, I saw the Portrait Innovation site. I couldn't believe what I saw, several different sized prints, a CD, photo cards, trip to Hawaii and a new car for $9.95. Well, the trip and car were not included but I wouldn't have been surprised if they were.

So what is the catch? I know you are not going to get the same skilled photographers as you get with a studio, but I wonder how established pros deal with that kind of price competition. I am temped to have my wife and I sign up for a portrait session just to see how they will try and upsell us, and of course they have to in order to make their time worthwhile.

My guess is a real studio has to stress quality over price. But many families are on a tight budget so I am curious how many of you established portrait pros deal with the "Walmart type" studio competition.

I know one service I plan on offering is a consultation before the shoot in order to personalize each shoot for my clients. Shooting on location is another area that could differentiat what I do from the Walmart type competition.

Gary
--
http://www.expecttowinphotos.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow