Selling large framed prints... limited run? price?

Started Mar 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,488Gear list
Like?
Selling large framed prints... limited run? price?
Mar 15, 2011

I have a concept for a unique shot of a ski resort that I'm convinced will sell. The resort has an arts and crafts boutique, as well as an annual arts festival. People buy this sort of stuff to decorate their vacation homes, and also their permanent residences. Humor me for a moment and pretend that this shot will definitely sell - other photographers have sold large prints of this resort forever. Mine will be a twist that hasn't been done before.

My questions are, what kind of price do you think something like this could command, and what sort of limited run would maximize the value? Or should I not limit the run? Of course I will talk to the boutique, but I wanted to ask here too.

Off the top of my head I was thinking $300 for a 16x24" print, matted in a 22x30" frame. My cost would be $135.95 shipped from imagekind.com, before any discounts (seems they usually run something - now there is 10% off and free shipping = $104.07). How about a limited run of 500? Based on $135.95, that would be a gross of $82,025!

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow