Moving from G1 to E-PL2 - will I be disappointed?

Started Mar 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Betterton
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
Moving from G1 to E-PL2 - will I be disappointed?
Mar 15, 2011

I think I've settled on replacing my stolen G1 kit (14-45, 20, Konica 135 and 50) with an E-PL2 (14-42, Panny 20mm, Oly 40-150 + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 if the insurance company agree). The main reason for the move is the Olympus' JPG handling. I have a new baby on the way and so expect to be taking more snapshots and doing less "serious" photography for the moment, and always felt the need to spend time in Lightroom making the most of the G1's RAW files as the JPGs were a little disappointing, even in Dynamic film mode. I enjoy taking photos more than I enjoy processing them, and I suspect time is going to be a rare commodity soon!

I've had a play with the E-PL2 and I think I can accept the compromises I have to make (principally no built in EVF and fiddlier handling from what I can see). And from the threads I've found on here if I do get time for some serious photography I can add a VF-2 and it will get me close to the G1 experience.

Do you think my expectations are about right? Any other serious compromises I should be aware of?

Please note that this isn't intended to start an "Olympus is better than Panasonic" discussion. I loved my G1 - the handling was wonderful and I got some superb results from the RAWs - and really wanted to move to a GF-2. If I got heavily into serious photgraphy again I would definitely plump for a GH-2. But if I want to shoot mainly JPG I do think I'm better off with Olympus, especially as Panasonic have removed the Dynamic film mode from the GF-2 - a big mistake IMHO.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow