Started Mar 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pimpleportrait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
Does a "PRO" camera make you a "PRO"
Mar 15, 2011

I read with disdain a reply to a thread, telling the original poster not to post his/her thread in a "PRO" forum if the camera used is not a "PRO" spec camera. The camera in question an APSC Canon 550 D with some posterisation issues.

In my travels, I have seen many people with large expensive "PRO" spec cameras, Canonians and Nikonians mainly, with their bazooka telephotos and battery grips attached, some suddenly becoming pro wedding photographers without any prior credentials.

And then there is the other, low key, almost invisible photographer with a compact-point and shoot with a portfolio adorning the glossy covers of reputable magazines and the walls of prestige galleries.

Please forgive me for my use of double adjectives, but is this how we have become, hiding behind our fancy double adjective featured "PRO" gear? Does the size and expense of the gear make the photographer? Or does the photographer create work out of his/her gear? Do you stand behind your camera or do you stand before it, enthralled by your own reflected image?

I am just wondering, if I were an "Amateur" wanting some "PRO" advice, do I even dare post in this forum?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow