When, if ever, do you select "Prevent paper abrasion" in Canon printer driver?

Started Mar 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?
When, if ever, do you select "Prevent paper abrasion" in Canon printer driver?
Mar 14, 2011

Canon PIXMA Pro 9000-2 and iP4500:

I was curious about the setting for "Prevent paper abrasion". I did find this explanation for the MP480:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_series/MP480.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-639891&page=1&type=faq

vvvvvv From Canon vvvvvvvv

Check 4: If you are printing on thick paper, select the Prevent paper abrasion setting.

Selecting the Prevent paper abrasion setting will widen the clearance between the Print Head and the loaded paper. If you notice abrasion even with the media type set correctly to match the loaded paper, set the machine to prevent paper abrasion by using the Operation Panel or the printer driver.
Print speed is reduced if you are selecting the Prevent paper abrasion setting.

• Deactivate the Prevent paper abrasion setting once printing is complete. If not, this setting remains enabled for all subsequent print jobs.

^^^^^^ From Canon ^^^^^^

So far, I've only used glossy photo paper, so my impression is I would always leave this setting OFF. My speculation is that if I was using something thick enough to use the front tray, like Canon's "Fine Art Photo Rag", I might change this to ON (although I would think the print driver would account for this for that specific MediaType).

Correct, or do I have a flawed understanding?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow