BlackRapid and Sun-Sniper strap reliability (or rather camera mount )

Started Mar 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
BlackRapid and Sun-Sniper strap reliability (or rather camera mount )
Mar 14, 2011

I'd like to know from people who have been using a blackrapid or sun-sniper strap which fastens to the tripod socket of the camera. I've been reading some reports of the tripod socket not responding well to the constant pull when carrying the camera, thus leading to the socket failing and the camera falling to the ground. I've also read about the strap's fastening screw coming loose, with the same result. Has anyone here encountered the same? I really need a shoulder strap, since the camera will be hanging on me for long whiles at a time while travelling.

I've used a neck strap, but with a camera + lens combined weight of over 5 pounds it really doesn't work, on my last trip I was bedridden for a day because of vertigo caused by neck fatigue. A shoulder strap would help here.

I also like to feel my camera is secure, not only by the fastening point, but like the Sun-Sniper Pro Steel&Bear strap which has the steel enforced strap to prevent thieves from cutting the strap. Any other straps that do this?

So, what are your experiences with straps that fasten to the tripod socket? Any loosening of the screw or socket part of the camera? Anything else that makes you not trust the strap completely? Is the sturdiness of the tripod socket different on different camera bodies? I use a 5d Mark II, and will be changing lenses so fastening the strap to the lens collar is not an option.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow