Anything better than Canon S95 for low light in compact size?

Started Mar 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
Re: Anything better than Canon S95 for low light in compact size?
In reply to tkbslc, Mar 14, 2011

There is nothing in the s95's size that's better in low light. All of the other cameras are bigger -

If you're actually regularly shooting at iso1600-3200 though, I would agree with the other poster -

tkbslc wrote:

I wouldn't use any small sensor camera for ISO 1600-3200. The Canon S95, Panasonic LX5 and Samsung TL500 are as good as it gets, but still not very good at those ISO levels. I'd be leaning toward something like a Olympus EPL-2 or Samsung NX100 with a 20mm f1.7 or 30mm f2 pancake lens.

These latest crop of high end compacts are significantly better in low light that your average compact, but I don't think I would be happy with one if I planned to shoot ISO 1600-3200 often. I would say they are more ISO 400-800 cameras where your average compact is ISO 100-200.

I wouldn't bother with any of the NEX's as the best lens you can get is f2.8. I'd say it's between a m43 camera with the f1.7 pancake lens, or the Fuji x100. The x100 should give the best results (though you don't get any zooming at all), with an f2.0 lens and crop-dslr-sized sensor, but no one seems to know for sure yet...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow