BW with Canon dye printers

Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,451
Like?
Quickie info re: Greyscale
In reply to ddushko, Mar 11, 2011

If you do not click the GrEyscale (or GrAyscale if using USA "English") in the Printer's Properties area, even with a Greyscale B+W mode image file, the printer will use all the colours, including Black, to make a pseudo Black result.

It's a bit like many printers used for text (mostly older ones) where black text was achieved by using all the colours, not the black ink at all - that would happen if the black ink ran out, as in those days (may still be true of some printers, like office type HP ones I believe) where printer still works but with no black, runs all the colours to try and simulate black. An expensive way to deplete the colour inks, of course.

I have a small office HP all-in-one that has two cartridges (I refill as only for text work) and if the black shows empty, can print "black text" as it uses all three colours to do that. It works OK - I use only for some jobs - but text generally is a little bit fuzzy at edges on paper less than 100gsm weight and quality and it is totally hopeless at feeding anything other than office type 80-100gsm paper. That also seems to apply to current HP all-in-ones too. The paper feed path in most A4 HP printers is attrocious.

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow