ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jfayard
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Overwhelmed by lenses
Mar 10, 2011

Hi there,

I am not brand-new to SLR photography (I learned on a Nikon FG film camera), but I am new to the world of digital SLRs. After years of using an advanced P&S, I finally upgraded to a Canon Rebel XTi. I've got the basic 18-55mm IS lens on it now, but I am looking to expand my collection. I have been researching different lenses, and am absolutely OVERWHELMED. I have no idea which lens would be the best for me to step up to.

I think a macro lens would suit my style, but I'm not sure which (non-Canon) brands/models are good ones. I don't want anything too huge (I don't need a 300mm lens!), and I am relatively poor (a grad student), so I'm not looking for the top-of-the-line. I am open to buying a used/older lens, as long as it will produce sharp images. My favorite subjects are butterflies and plants (well, and landscapes/waterfalls, but the lens I have will do for that, for now), if that helps to give you an idea of what I would need. The following pictures are good examples of the type of work I like to do (taken with my old Canon P&S):

I have also looked a bit into teleconverters and/or extension tubes; any thoughts on those? Needless to say, I am overwhelmed by all of these options, too!

Thank you so much for your help!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow