RAW & Picture Controls - Clarification Required

Started Mar 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Workflow from View NX2 to Photoshop
In reply to gijunksage80, Mar 10, 2011

gijunksage80 wrote:

I guess I really want to know is how I can get the best of both worlds: accuracy of Nikon NEF conversion software, with versatility and power of Photoshop?

In Capture NX2 you select OPEN WITH in the Edit menu: this passes an uncompressed 16 bit TIFF to and opens whatever program you have chosen in Edit/Preferences/General (most of us have it set to CS5 or Topaz Fusion).

If you do not have CNX2, you can download the free View NX2 from http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61 , which in its current incarnation is an excellent (albeit a little limited) raw converter. It will open the NEF to look exactly like the OOC Jpeg. After you have made basic corrections like white balance, exposure, sharpening etc. you can export an uncompressed or LZW compressed TIFF through the Convert Files menu on the tool bar and open that with CS5.

Capture NX2 is not free but it is much more powerful, and that's what I use for the exact reason that prompted your question.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow