Canon capable of putting sharp lens on an Elph these days?

Started Mar 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moonman52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
Canon capable of putting sharp lens on an Elph these days?
Mar 10, 2011

These are both 100% crops from top right corner of each frame. Each is tripod mounted with self timer taken approx 5 mins apart. Top image is from new 12 megapixel Canon A1200, ISO 80 in program mode. Bottom shot is crop from 12 megapixel Oly E-PL1 with Panny 14-45 lens at F/8 at ISO 200. Also I just remembered I even forgot to shut off the image stabilization on the E-PL1 when I took these. Again these are 100% crops of the same area on both frames.

Before I get totally blasted for posting this I already know its rediculously unfair to compare these 2 cameras with the extreme sensor size difference. My point and concern is with the quality of Canon lenses on its smaller point and shoot cameras these days. Let me add that the center of the Canon frame faired somewhat better than this when compared to the E-PL1/Pany combo but outward from the center things get really mushy as in this comparison. Full wide angle on the Canon is just aweful with just the very center being sharp (even worse than this) and pretty much just unusable.

The Canon shot was taken at the upper two thirds region of its zoom range where it seems to be at its very best, however outward from center the image quality from the lens gets really disappointing. The Pany 14-45 lens was set at its maximum zoom by the way. I've had some of the older Powershot Canon's that were much sharper than this such as in the SD700 and G7 and even my ancient 4 megapixel Canon S40 has a lens that cleans this ones clock!

My question is this. These days is Canon even capable of putting a sharp lens throughout the zoom range on any of its Powershots or Elphs? If the answer is yes can someone please direct me to model I should be looking at. I'm looking for a light and rather small camera that has a sharpness across the frame in its zoom range and with very good overall IQ. Please don't say S90 for that one has already failed the lens test with me miserably. I tried two 2 copies then just gave up on that one. I have not tried the newer S95 but I believe it uses the same lens, correct me if I am wrong.

I'd like to stay away from the G series since they are too close in size to the E-PL1 and I need something smaller that I can stick into my pocket. If Canon has decided that cramming more pixels on to puny sensors is now way more important than lens design perhaps my days with Canon are about over and I'll have to look elsewhere. Hopefully there is still something available in the smaller Canon line up (even a slightly older model that is still available) that someone who understands exactly where I'm coming from can point me in the direction of. Thanks.

Moonman52's gear list:Moonman52's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D5300
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow