Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Betterton
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
New replacement for two legacy lenses
Mar 9, 2011

So like an idiot I got my G1 kit stolen in Barcelona the other week (feel like a forum cliche). The insurance company are saying that they have to replace everything with new, current replacements. (John Lewis insurance by the way, very thorough and very helpful.)

This is no problem for the G1 + 14-45 - I'll happily take a G2 and while I know the 14-42 isn't as good, I didn't use the kit zoom much anyway and will probably replace it with a wideangle pancake. Ditto the 20mm f1.7, no probs there.

The Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5 + adapter are a bit more challenging, however. As I think the policy is "indemnity based", they have to replace the utility with the nearest modern equivilant.

As I bought the 135mm for sports and nature I think it's fair to push for the lumix 45-200 - okay it's 1-2 stops slower but obviously it's more useful. However I don't think that lens replaces the 50mm for the purposes I bought it for (low light photography without a flash at theatres etc).

I don't think the Panasonic 45mm f2.8 macro is a realistic replacement - as well as being over £500 it's two stops slower. The only four thirds lens I can find is the Sigma 50mm f1.4, but that's absolutely frickin' enormous (I just want a light, discreet lens) and again, over £300 (plus needs an expensive adapter).

I think I can realistically push for a 50mm f1.7/8 from another manufacturer plus adapter and I suspect the Nikkor f1.8D is probably the best candidate as it has an aperture ring.

Are there any other realistic alternatives I can ask for? If anyone else has been in this situation, is it realistic to push for the 45-200 + a Nikkor 50mm and adapter?

Thanks

Chris

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow