60D vs 7D - How ciritical is Micro Adjust?

Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jwilliams
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
60D vs 7D - How ciritical is Micro Adjust?
Mar 9, 2011

I want to upgrade my now ancient 20D and am trying to decide between the 7D and 60D. Although I love the 7D finder, I appreciate the lower weight of the 60D and of course the lower price. I don't need blinding fast AF, although it would be nice. So the one thing that seems to be missing from the 60D that might be significant for me is the MA feature.

I have been mostly shooting m43 gear for the last year and definitely notice that misfocused shots are much rarer than they were for my 20D. I never specifically checked for focusing accuracy of my 20D, so I really have no feel for how often the AF just missed vs if it was due to the particular lens being used focusing incorrectly.

In general I don't have lot of super fast lenses that I shoot wide open. Probably my most used lens would be a 17-55/2.8, but I do have some faster primes such as the 85/1.8 and some long teles such as the 70-200/4 and 300/4.

I know there is no absolute way of knowing how my lenses will perform with a given camera other than just buying it, but I am trying to get a feel for how often in general there are focusing issues on the current generation of cameras that lack the MA feature.

So in general how big a deal is the missing MA feature for most people shooting moderately fast lense?

Also I know using Live View will get rid of any lens related focusing issues, but trying it out in the store it seems to be slow and difficult to use in the lower light levels inside a store. How well does it work in the real world?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow