ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eillirand
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Canon User > A55
Mar 8, 2011

Hey guys,

I am currently in the market of purchasing a new DSLR. At present I have a 2nd generation Digital Rebel, the 350, I believe. Prior to yesterday, I was pretty much set to get the 60D, but an article in the Popular Photography, caught my attention stating the A55 was the Camera of the Year.

Let me first say, I am not trolling or trying to start a battle or anything. I am not fanboy of Canon. Nothing wrong with them of course, but I am not set on them as the only choice or brand. That said, the change would require the lost of two lens and the external flash kit (430EX) I have. Anyone in their right mind, cannot say that is not a selling point to stay with Canon; however, the lens were not Pro 'L' lens, so again not a deal breaker. One which was an off brand (Sigma, I believe).

What I like about the A55 is the Live View (which sounds a lot better than Nikon's or Canon's), the GPS and the native HDR (two things coming from an iPhone are a plus).

Honest opinion and I realize I am in the Sony group so it will be bias, how does the A55 compare to the 60D? The hand on review here seems to point a bit more towards Canon and even Popular Photography over all rating has the 60D as a better rating ( 4 1/2 vs 3 1/2 stars). I stopped in at Ritz, and the guy seems to think the A55 is leaps and bounds above the 60D placing it in the 7D category (cannot say I believe that opinion).

The primary use is nature photography while hiking and the general Point and Shoot junk on the side. Not in it for money or business but as a hobby. I aim for the SLR as IQ is generally better than Point N Shoot camera and for the flexibility of lens. The Sigma lens is my telephoto 300mm lens. I also do quite a bit of creative shots using both Manual and AP and SP.

Again, I hope this does not sound like a troll.
Thanks,

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow