I actually LIKE harsh bokeh, anyone with me?

Started Mar 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lucas Jarvis
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
I actually LIKE harsh bokeh, anyone with me?
Mar 8, 2011

It's funny, all the talk of bokeh around here. People have moved on from nit picking about megapixels and are now obsessed with bokeh.

The reason I bring it up in this forum, is that there is a lot of mention about the x100's bokeh recently and that it's not very nice.

What everyone needs to understand is that bokeh is subjective, much like your favourite colour. There's no need to argue that blue is nicer/better than red - it's subjective. And the same goes for bokeh.

In saying that, I'd like to say that I actually prefer a bit of harshness in my bokeh. I'd like to give an example.

Sigma has recently brought out a 50mm 1.4 in the last couple years that's been regarded as a very decent lens due to it's sharpness wide open and creamy smooth bokeh. I myself find the bokeh very boring, almost too smooth that it's in the bland department. Yes, it isolates the subject without any distractions but I much prefer the canon 1.4 for it's weird and sometimes strange out of focus renderings. It gives the image a painterly effect that I really have a liking for. The lens has character .

Anyway, is anyone else with me? Or am I the only one who actually enjoys these unique painterly characteristics of a - what others call harsh bokeh? Is smoother really better?

I can't answer that of course, because it's subjective

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Lucas

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow