Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WTWatson
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Sad to leave Olympus
Mar 7, 2011

[NOT intended as flame bait or trolling - just my experience. I have been glad when others have shared their reasons for staying or going with other companies, and I hope this is a useful discussion. I've been a regular lurker here since 2007, and I like this forum.]

I traded all my Olympus gear yesterday for a Canon. I am still sad about leaving a company whose products I liked but who I feel had abondoned hobbyist photographers who used Olympus' mid-range gear. I had a 510 kit plus a 14-54MkI, 70-300, and various accessories. I considered the E5, but when handling it at the local camera shop (Penn), it was just too much -- dollars and size. The E30 was an option, but it did not meet all the criteria I wanted in a new body. Since I was not heavily invested in lenses, a switch made sense, particularly with the trade option available. The PEN series are nice, but not really what I wanted, and m43 essentially means starting over with lenses anyway.

I sincerely hope that Olympus develops more options for dSLRs and continues to cover the mid-range. Maybe I'll return for mirrorless system someday. In the meantime, I'm back with Cannon (with a 60D) for the first time since before my shift to digital (film in an old Canon AE1).

I'll still lurk here, and in a few years, I may even post again.

Todd

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow