Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648Gear list
Like?
Definitive Answer on the affect of NR on RAW for the GH2
Mar 7, 2011

I have tested every single color mode with all of the sharpness settings and all of the noise reduction settings for RAW and JPG images. My conclusions are as follows. I will try to post the samples tonight. I just don’t have the bandwidth at the moment to post them.

The in camera sharpness setting never has any affect on RAW files.

A noise reduction setting of -2 will never impart any kind of noise reduction on RAW files. A noise reduction setting of +2 will generally apply noise reduction to pictures with an ISO greater than 800.

The noise reduction that is applied to the RAW files is absolutely terrible. It should be avoided for RAW images at all costs. No noise reduction at all is better than this type of noise reduction regardless of the amount of noise in the image.

The noise reduction settings will apply varying amounts of noise reduction to JPG images. This type of noise reduction may or may not be desirable.

Your best bet is to turn NR down to -2 if you are shooting RAW images with the GH2. Apparently, the GH1 had an issue where it would apply the NR even at -2. That appears to be fixed with the GH2.

I would strongly recommend never turning the in camera NR up to +2. The only time it may be useful is when you are using the ETC mode for movies at a very high ISO in very low light. Even then it probably won't work well.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow