Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clarkt
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?
Need expert advice on club photography settings with a700
Mar 7, 2011

I am a freelance amatuer photographer. I have a club date coming up this Tuesday. I will be making a video of my friend's blues band in a small dinner club (using a Sony T900). I also want to do some still shots with my DSLR a700. There are a few stage lights overhead but they are weak, so yes it's going to be DARK in there! I could bring floodlights but that would be too much disruption. This is a special event and will never come again, so I am anxious to do a good job. But I have never tried photography in these conditions.

I will be sitting near the front, about 10-15 feet away from the stage. Here are the lenses I have:

Beercan
Big Beercan
Minolta 35-70 f/3.5-4.5
Minolta 18-135 f/4-4.5
Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Sony 50mm f/1.4
Sony 18-250 f/3.5-6.3

I also have two flash units: Sony 58 and Sony 42, both with FlashBender attachments (like onboard bounce cards). I could put both on stands off-camera and fire them wirelessly in a ratio - as long a I feel confident nobody is going to knock them over - or to be safe I could just shoot with one that is mounted on the camera. Or better yet, don't use them at all, if possible.

Besides wide angle shots I do want to be able to zoom in close on each individual musician for head shots and hand shots on the instruments.

So many possibilites, but I'd like to narrow it down a bit so I am not fumbling with my equipment during the performance. What would you do if you were me?

I am just a beginner using manual mode. Please suggest some settings, such as
lens/exposure mode/flash settings/ISO/aperture/shutter speed/

Thanks in advance.

Clark
http://www.charonda.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow