Started Mar 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mgoldst
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Questions about buying 5d mkII now vs mkIII later
Mar 6, 2011

I am about to move into a new camera and am settled on the 5D mkII — it is time to upgrade to a FF camera (I am coming from a Rebel XT & many film cameras. I do have EF mount lenses to use on the 5D). Obviously the new 5D mkIII is going to be announced sometime, but of course nobody knows when. With that in mind, I have a few questions for people who are more in the know than myself:

1. Once the mkIII is announced, based on previous Canon bodies, what is a typical timeline for it to actually be available in my hands? I am hearing it could be at least many months (3-6). I am in my 1st year of an MFA design program and not having the camera until well into my 2nd year of school does not seem to be worth it — the opportunity cost of waiting is too high for what may be just a few new features.

2. I have also heard it is likely that the mkIII will not be at the same price-point the mkII is now — about $2500. I hear it will be closer to $3500 on announcement?

3. What are the big differences likely to be between the mkII and mkIII? 7D autofocus and 7D movie options? anything else we suspect is coming that is really worth waiting for?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow