Buried my Canon S3 - need replacement advice

Started Mar 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Buried my Canon S3 - need replacement advice
In reply to KellyMom, Mar 5, 2011

Two thoughts here. First, you could look for a clean used S3IS or S5IS. Places to look would be KEH.com, Adorama, and B&H. I have had good luck with used gear from all three over many years, and all three will stand behind what they sell. Yes, there have been occassional problems; but they were good about taking it back with little or no hassle. I do not trust eBay.

I have owned both the S3IS and S5IS, and at low ISO settings thay are very close. The S5IS has a larger screen and a better viewfinder, and a hot shoe for mounting a bigger flash. But I think the S3IS takes slightly better pictures.

Among new models, the Panasonic FZ35 or FZ40 would probably be closest; but won't have the articulated LCD of the S3IS, nor the hot shoe of the later Canon models.

The Canon SX30IS is a lot bigger and heavier. The lens covers a much wider range of focal lengths from a wider wide angle to a longer telephoto - but seems to have more compromises in picture quality, particularly in low light. The same is true to a lesser degree in the SX10IS and SX20IS. I did have an SX10IS for a while; but frankly preferred the S5IS.

The latest Nikon or Sony might be a solution.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow