24P or 60i - Which is better? (GH2)

Started Dec 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
When to use 60i, 60p, or 24p
In reply to Ann Chaikin, Mar 4, 2011

1080 60i @ 17mps: When you want high resolution and full compatibility with Blu-ray. People who say it is worse than 30p or 24p are thinking only in terms of frame grabs. For purposes of motion, 60i beats either for smoothness and suppression of rolling shutter. It remains the base standard of most dedicated videocams for a good reason. 60p might beat them all, save for the lack of Blu-ray or on-line means to share the video as 60p.

720 60p @ 17mps: When you need smooth motion for action scenes or pans. The 60p almost eliminates any wobble due to rolling shutter. However, it cannot rescue smothness if your camera is shaky. This mode also extends effective lossless zoom range with the 300mm lens and ECT mode to about 1200mm, which is fantastic for video of wild animals, but practical only with a very firm tripod.

1080 24p @ 28mbps: For a wedding, funeral march, talking head, romantic scene, stationary scenery, or subject that involves limited motion and low light. Hollywood has used 24p since the 1920s, to save film use, because it is just above the flickery threshold, but not optimum for action video, and prone to wobble / jello, invisible football pass, or the famous "backward wagon wheels" effect. The bitrate of the GH2's 24p mode is very high, which is OK for Blu-ray, but takes more PC punch to edit, and is lost if one must then compress for on-line sharing.

Very likely, however, an unbiased viewer will not be able to tell the difference of identical scenes shot in the three modes. Or the viewer will be swayed more by cues, or by an urge to settle and dispose a boring and abstuse query, by whatever means, regardless of what is seen.

Eventually, 60p may become a universal standard, especially if it gives the manufacturers a means to hawk new hardware to the markets. Then 4k will come.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow