Started Mar 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Metz 45s vs on-camera vs bracket
Mar 3, 2011

I have an old Metz 45 CT-4 and it still works nicely (manual of course) with my 5DII. I also bought the little Canon 270EX for portability and a quick and dirty E-TTL option. I am still considering adding the 580EXII and maybe a second one at a later date to have more options (including stroboscopic, more power, high speed sync, etc). So I do see the value of the designated flash that has all the options available.

But just out of curiosity, why is it that the Metz handle mount flash guns have fallen out of favor? And I don't mean just the old ones but the updated "digital" versions of the classics that come designated for the major brands with pretty much the same custom functions you get on the camera brand shoe mounted speedlights.

Isn't there an advantage any longer in removing the flash from the hotshoe and putting it on the side - like many photographers do with extension cords and brackets?

Is it just because these things are/look "dated"? Is it the size/weight/portability issue?

Or are they still in use and I just didn't notice it that much?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow