Started Mar 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BHPhotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
RAW photography in a JPEG world
Mar 3, 2011

I'm new to the D90 and as I work my way through all the features of the camera I'm struck by the fact that many (not all) of the camera settings for Nikon as for other DSLRs (WB, D-Lighting, Picture Controls etc) are useless with NEF/RAW.

If you shoot jpeg you have the full range of in-camera settings and features, but start out with a lower bit rate, have to deal with compression and artifact issues, and a more limited post processing range. Plus you have to deal with the hundreds of combinations of settings for an infinite number of contexts.

If you shoot RAW you get more post-procesisng data to work with but lose most of the in-camera digital features and are basically using a film-era shutter/aperture/ASA (ISO) camera with digital read-out. However, you are paying for all the R&D that goes into the digital wizardry and complexity for the jpeg side of the system.

Seems there would be a market for a RAW-only camera stripped of the software and menu complexity (in fact, would it even need menus beyond the basic setup, if it had enough hard button control ?).

This isn't a slam at Nikon or anyone, but it seems DSLRs and other form factors are being designed for, and marketed to, JPEG users for digital (online) output but I'm paying for features I don't use and perhaps losing out on accelerated development of the few basic camera features I do use.

Just one guy's opinion,
Brian

BHPhotog's gear list:BHPhotog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow