Started Mar 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
wadeinthewater
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: my two cents
In reply to PeterF, Mar 3, 2011

PeterF wrote:

Hi, Chris.

You will quickly find out, if you don't already know, that DSLR (and SLR) photography is mostly about glass. Bodies come and go but hopefully if you make the right choices your glass should be with you for a while.

I tend to take a lot of pictures of babies and small ones (I have 12 grandchildren) and I've had pretty good luck with the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. If you buy it new, you will blow a pretty good chunk of your budget but you can find used ones, and don't be afraid to consider older models of the same lens, they work fine.

The nice thing about the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM is that it replaces the typical kit lens so you can just go after a body. It used to be that finding a good price on a used body was a good idea but new bodies are quite reasonably priced so you might want to go new (plus the newer ones have video).

With regard to a 1.8 50mm. I have one and it's a great lens, especially for the price, but like all primes, it serves a specific purpose. I find the 1.8 50mm a little long for general photography on an APS sized DSLR (especially for indoor photography) so it's not on my camera a lot. But of course when I want a nice portrait, indoors or out, it's dandy.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, fire away.

Peter

I'd have to agree with Peter, here. I bought the T1i when it came out and I was stuck with the kit lens for a long while. I just didn't have the cash to upgrade. Afterwards I bought a Sigma 70-300mm for outdoor photography, and then a Canon 28-135 for all purpose indoor and outdoor photography. The 50mm is a great choice to start off with, and you really can't go wrong with the T2i. Like it was said before, bodies come and go, but your lenses you tend to keep. Best of luck to you!

wadeinthewater's gear list:wadeinthewater's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow