How to get people to ignore you taking pictures of them?

Started Mar 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BluAlloy
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
How to get people to ignore you taking pictures of them?
Mar 2, 2011

So I've been taking a lot of pictures lately with my new camera but I have a problem, my wife is Extremely camera shy. So I have a question for all of you old timers. How do you get your significant other/family/strangers to ignore you taking pictures of them? I know that sometimes you want them to look at the camera, but I'm more interested in capturing a moment than posed smiles. A few thoughts:

1.) Bigger or Smaller? I've got the XZ-1 which is fairly small. Are people more understanding/forgiving of a "professional camera" shooting around them or a P&S (strangers vs. family)?

2.) Viewfinder or LCD? Which is more intimidating for people to see? A camera up to your face or the P&S salute?

3.) How quickly (and how) do you get people used to you taking pictures? Do you just have to take a bunch of "warm up" shots first? When do people start ignoring all the pictures you take of them? Do you have to gain the reputation of "that uncle that always takes a million pictures" first?

I'm not trying to start a debate on what is better, but just looking to pick your brains on how you make your shots of people more natural/candid. As always, thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow