D7000 is FANTASTIC but... (long+videos+pics)

Started Feb 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
sudirdjo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?
Re: D7000 is FANTASTIC but... (long+videos+pics)
In reply to TheTeh, Mar 2, 2011

TheTeh wrote:

Having read all the recent posts on AF issues, I'm seriously thinking to send mine in to Nikon. My 16-85 could not be fixed by fine tune but the 35g could which makes me undecided.

Just an update, I finally gave up to this af curiosity and got a d7k, having prepared my mind to return or exchange it asap if this issue is that bad. First thing first I really enjoyed the new body, very good jpg and awb down to silent shutter and very swift operations. Next immediate step is the return of that 5 watt (not 10 !) bulb next to ipod ... while i'm too lazy to update my results table above, it's clear that d7k did no worse than the 2 older bodes. It showed more consistent results and, dare I say it, sometimes better (closer to subject af point) than the other 2 under tungsten, especially on yellow kodak sleeves.

Next test, outdoor daylight, bad news: almost half of my lenses needed fine tune, but once a rough correction was dialed in, they're quite reliable. I put more attention to 35/1.8 and it was excellent at +7, spot-on regardless of distance. The one that required beyond +20 was tamron 70-200/2.8, rest are below 10, with most curses went to the testing of tokina 10-17 and old sigma 10-20 (+4 and +5 respectively after straining my eye). All adjustment was for frontfocus, quite strange that 18-200 also needed adjustment. The only twitchy lens left is 35/2D.

Btw those are with real objects and I don't think I will go the af chart route. So far I'm satisfied with its results, and will keep this copy as-is rather going back through another iteration of lens tests. I had a (bigger) problem with my d90 which gave unpredictable intermittent oof that can't be reproduced ... hopefully that will never happen with this d7k.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow