Started Mar 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Larry Grady
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Newb Q: T3i as Video Camera Replacement
Mar 2, 2011

My wife and I need a new camera, our old Sony F717 has busted. She has been interested in learning to take portraits, mostly for family and our kids, and we travel a ton so we're looking to upgrade to something nicer. THe New T3i looks fantastic and it has the swivel screen which is one of the things we loved about our old camera.

Another perceived benefit was that recording HD video would allow us to carry around a single camera instead of a still and a video camera. We're not pros, we just film trips and birthdays and the kids soccer games, etc..

However, I was reading a review that said it does not autofocus in video mode. Does this mean it would not work as a video camera would? That I would continually need to focus as I shoot? If this is the case, it sounds like it may be too difficult for shooting family video all the time, is that the case. Also, is there a decent dSLR type camera that compares to the quality level of this camera but DOES auto focus as I shoot video? Our ideal would be something we can learn with and also allow us to carry one camera with us.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow