Can I use the Light Meter in a DSLR to set a film camera?

Started Feb 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fmian
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
Can I use the Light Meter in a DSLR to set a film camera?
Feb 28, 2011

Hi all,

I am attending a photography course for the next year where we will mainly be working with film cameras (4x5 this year).

We have been asked to purchase a light meter for the class.

Rather than spending several hundred dollars I was just wondering if there was some way I could use my 400D DSLR to get an exposure reading of the same scene and then apply those settings to the film camera.

I am guessing that some calculation would need to be applied to compensate for the different size sensors, but lets just say that the lenses are at an equivalent focal length.

Theoretically, I am thinking I should be able to fire a few shots in bracketing mode with the lighting linked to the DSLR, check my preview to confirm, then apply the settings to the film camera, set the lights to trigger off the film camera, and voila.

As I am new to this though, I'm sure I'm missing something, or am getting confused somewhere.

Can anyone chime in before I spend money on something that I might only use with this class.

Thanks,
Fahad Mian

fmian's gear list:fmian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow