ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin P Kitching
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?
Back to the usual topics... :-)
Feb 28, 2011

Hi folks,

After a rather long absence from this forum, I have been rather amused by the 'stir' that the X100 is causing - both positive & negative.

Anyone of my vintage (or dare I say, older?) will remember the days not too long ago when rangefinders had fixed lenses and many aspired to owning one of the SLRs on offer from the major players. Oh, and they all used film by the way...

The SLRs were seen to offer greater flexibility than the fixed lens rangefinders (unless you were wealthy enough to own a Leica). Many Pros were still coming away from Rollei 6x6 TLRs and onto the ease of SLR shooting fror sports.

My, how things have changed and gone full circle. I've shot Fuji (film and sensor) for ages. My S3 still gets the occasional airing, but as the longer serving members will appreciate, I moved to Nikon D2 & D3 series bodies quite some time ago.

Sure, there is always the references about Fuji colour... I've been guilty of 'upsetting the applecart' once or twice posting images from the D2H & S3 or S2 when no-one guessed which camera had taken which image. Colour balanced workflow, from capture to print really does 'level the playing field', although each sensor has its merits. For me though, the Nikon's have the upper hand for my style of shooting.

Many have left this forum over the last three years or so, but I would like to think that they are still being entertained here (BPK, Paulo, Walter, Artichoke).

Yes, we have had our moments of disagreement, but we still had one aim - to produce images to share whith friends in this forum.

All the X100 seems to have done so far is to cause many arguements. If you don't like the fixed lens... buy a P7000 - it's an amazing pice of kit!! And a third of the estimated price of the X100!!

We've seen the bickering before when the S3 & S5 were announced!! Statements as to how Fuji 'missed the boat' with fps, resolution, build quality etc.

Now, as history seems to be going round in circles I must nip off and dust of my old flared jeans and tie-dye T-shirts. The permed hair will have to be avoided though... I've lost most of it!

-- hide signature --

Kevin P Kitching

Kevin P Kitching's gear list:Kevin P Kitching's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +23 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow