ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Falxon
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Help me spend thousands on a good super-tele
Feb 26, 2011

OK, the title is somewhat facetious...

I just got a blank check approval from the at-home CFO. This approval is good for almost any single lens purchase. I intend to milk this for all it's worth, while still being careful not ended up divorced. Therefore, my budget is around $1500-2000.

I have a 40D and a 7D. My current lenses are only two: the 17-55 f/2.8 and the 55-250 f/"royal-piece-of-poo". Yeah, it's not terrible, but come on...

I would like to take better bird shots, but I'm thinking backyard birds - finches, hummingbirds (minimum focus distance limit, perhaps??), and some hawks overhead. I'm in Ohio, so this will not be year-round, I'm guessing. To be realistic, I'm not expecting to be hardcore enough to be hiking all over the countryside to get these shots - at least not for a while.

ANYWAY... I'm thinking of the 100-400mm, the 300mm f/4L, the 400mm f/5.6L, and maybe a Mark I 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a Kenko TC. I get that the 400mm prime has little to no flexibility, but everyone seems to love the images. A couple of the Sigmas look interesting, but my goal is not value for the money, but quality for the money. This will be the first "big gun" lens I am purchasing/using, so I'm pretty green in the super-tele space.

Any thoughts on how best to spend my cash-ola? Or should I save up and spend double that in (at least) a couple years on something like the 300 f/2.8L?

Falxon's gear list:Falxon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MFDNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow