Started Feb 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754Gear list
Like?
Oly 150mm 2.0 or K-5 plus DA* 200 2.8
Feb 26, 2011

I have been eyeballing the Oly 150mm f2.0 for a couple of years now and always had trouble dealing with the price. I know it is still cheaper than some of the C or N equivalents but $2150 is still quite a hunk of change. Never really see them on the used market and when they do, they are almost the price as new.

Looking around, I found the Pentax DA* 200 f2.8 seems to be of comparable quality and less than half the price . It also seems to have a nice bokeh as does the Oly 150mm. On their respective bodies, they both give a 300mm perspective and I could almost afford the K-5 plus the 200mm for the price of the 150mm and the body plus lens is almost the same weight as the Oly 150mm.

Since my E-5 may well be my last FT body and also as Oly is playing the semipro mFT body release so close to the chest, I am not sure that another Oly lens is a risk worth taking at this time. Buying the K-2 plus 200mm would also give me a body with a great zoom, E-5 plus 50-200 plus TC14 matched with a body with a great prime and no need to switch lenses when a critical moment arrives. If only Oly would say for sure if the SHG lenses are still in the mFT future or are they too at an end. Do they really think that the E-5 will not sell if they announce the upscale mFT body. I think they would sell more as many of us would like to have both.

At any rate, if anyone has any experience with the two different setups, I would like to hear about it. Thanks,

Dave
--
DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow