ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Statross2
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
A55 with the f42am flash
Feb 24, 2011

Hi all,

I was a quite reticent when it came to buying an external flash. Theyre so expensive and I wondered if I'd be able to justify such an investment. I've got very nice picture with the pop-up flash which is - free, very small, very light and powerful enough for most occasions.

But after the marumi/delta ringflash debacle (heads up, they don't work on the A55) I bought an f42.

It's large, heavy and expensive. But it's excellent. Coming from P&S I thought the A55 pop-up was a step up but the f42 (and probably most other half-decent external flashes) is in a league beyond.

So for flash newbies, an external flash really is something you should consider. Why did I buy this instead of the 36? Well, it's newer (always a plus), it's more powerful, it supports wireless, HSS and adjustable power levels.

Why did I bother making this thread? Well, as it turns out the f42 has benefits I didn't know about and are pertinent to A55/A33 owners. I knew the refresh rate of the flash would be better, I knew it could fire at 3fps because of a thread I'd read on these forums. I couldnt find specs on sony's website about its max rate of fire or a table with the max at x-power level either. The pop-up has a very slow refresh rate (about one every 1.5-2 seconds) compared to this flash which can fire off at 10fps for as long as I held the button down (about 25 frames).

This is an amazing benefit of the flash for those that like to do macro with flash.

Along with the being able to tilt and rotate the head and find a wealth of cheap diffusers on ebay it really is excellent.

I'm not sure I'm all that confident about the foot, though. It seems like the weakest part of the camera, lens and flash setup and I've seen a couple on ebay with broken feet lately. Does anyone know if superglue/gripfix/unibond would be suitable for gluing a broken rail back on or is it a trip to Sony/the rubbish bin if one snaps?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow