Started Feb 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forever Young
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Is the 1D Mark IV $3000 better?
Feb 24, 2011

I started a similar thread on the 1D forum, but may be the 7D forum is a better place to ask....

I have read very carefully the reviews of the 1D Mark IV on dpreview, on the_digital-picture-com, and dxomark, and I have been using a digital SLR for 8 years. I have the 5DII, and I had several cropped bodies in my life from the 10D to the 7D. Currently I have 'only' the 5DII. I have several very good Canon lenses, and I mostly shoot my (fast!) grand kinds, pets, family portraits, and on excursions landscapes. I do enjoy photography, and so does my wife who is a great supporter of 'buying the best' we can afford...

We decided to get a second body, and we were thinking about the 7D mostly because of its probably better AF performance. However, the ISO performance of that lens is not as good as that of the 5DII so when we had that body for a few months we mostly used the 5DII.... We may be ready for the 'big step' to get a 1D IV body, but the price of the 1D IV still 'stops me' and 'makes me think twice'... I have read all the differences between the 1D IV and the 7D, and I am still asking YOU who can speak from experience: Is the 1D Mark IV really $3000 better? As an advanced amateur shall we really enjoy the 1D IV 'so much more' than we did the 7D?

Can you convince me to go for the 1D IV now instead of for example buying a 7D now again, and wait for the 5D III? Is the 1D Mark IV really $3000 better than the 7D?

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Imre

Forever Young's gear list:Forever Young's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow