Started Feb 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,332Gear list
Like?
Re: Lance
In reply to thxbb12, Feb 23, 2011

thxbb12 wrote:

Thank you, Lance.

In the K7 (and maybe K20?), Pentax changed their matrix metering to expose more to the right to hide the relatively high read out noise of the Samsung sensor which would show grain fairly quickly.

That makes perfect sense!

Now with the K5 this is not required anymore and it's actually not desirable as it has a negative effect since blown highlights can't be recovered.

Again, this is correct.

Therefore, I tend to dial -0.3 EV (or more) to preserve highlights as the K5's sensor has such incredibly low noise, one can really push shadows and still get good results. it's just amazing!

As I do with the Nikon D7000.

Your suggestion regarding preserving highlights sounds good and let's hope Pentax is reading this forum!

Yes, let's hope Pentax and Nikon are reading this forum! Actually, I made this observation in one of the Nikon forums, saying that I think there should be a menu option on all cameras that allow for highlight preservation.

Maybe there could be a further option to allow for a selection of a highlight amount that only make up about 1%, or possibly even less, of the photo to be allowed to blow out. This may be something like a highly polished object that is in the photo that has no bearing on the photo or the need for preservation and would unduly reduce exposure too much if it were to be totally preserved. You know the type of situation where there are chrome polished surfaces etc and you are using a flash and they end up being blown but have no bearing on the end result. That sort of thing.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow