Started Feb 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
grzybu
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: Testing my GH2's sensor
In reply to Al Bond, Feb 23, 2011

Al Bond wrote:

grzybu wrote:

My example was to prove that even if we underexpose ISO400 we don't get worse quality than shooting in ISO1600 and we can also avoid highlights clipping as extra bonus if DR of the scene is big, like i.e. night shots of the city.

With G1 it's clear that I can shoot at ISO400 with i.e. -1 instead of using ISO800.
Noise level will be almost the same, but I get extra 1 EV for highlights.

Until this test I was believing that shooting at ISO1600 will give me better results that ISO400 with -2EV correction but looks like I don't get better image at ISO1600.

Your example is very convincing - the highlight detail and rendition on the ISO 400 pushed shot look a lot better than the ISO 1600 shot. Did you have highlight recovery on in RawTherapee? Although that would show the best case scenario, it would make the comparison more difficult.

Yes, I've enabled highlight recovery and set slider to abou 70/100. Latest RT releases handle highlight recovery very well, without strange color casts.

I know the brightness of the EVF on the G1 can be increased. I wonder if this is enough to make ISO200 with -3EV correction usable? I'll have to try.

I can't remember if the EVF adjustment can be applied as to just custom settings. Otherwise it would be a bit of a pain to have to reduce the EVF brightness when shooting conditions change and the EV correction is set back to 0.

I can set i.e. C1 custom setting to work in A mode, with -2EV compensation and EVF set to max brightness.

When I go back to regular A mode camera goes back with exposure compensation and EVF/display brightness. I like it.
-3EV is bit too much, so I think ISO400 with -2EV is max for this camera.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Grzegorz Rakoczy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow