Software - Post Processing - What's Needed?

Started Feb 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?
Re: Please
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Feb 22, 2011

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Try turning off Active D-Lighting after the fact, or applying a different picture control, or turning down the in camera sharpening. Sure there are sliders on Adobe Camera RAW that allow you to approximate these things but you can't change the settings you used to take the picture in the same way.

Raw data is raw data. It doesn't matter whether it's being processed in ACR or Nikon software.

When using anything other than a Nikon raw converter ADL is off by default because the converter doesn't know anything about ADL. Picture controls are simply shortcuts to sets of adjustments; any raw converter worth anything has user-definable presets that serve the same purpose. A raw file has no sharpening applied to begin with, so that's not even an issue.

I think what you're missing is that not everyone wants to duplicate the functionality of Nikon's in-camera JPEG engine in their raw conversions. In fact, many go out of their way to avoid it.

Look we can argue about it's merits for editing but for manipulating Nikon RAW data it absolutely is the best.

I disagree, but it's subjective so there's no reason to argue about it.

No, it means you can make decisions about shooting parameters after the fact. That isn't the same as playing with Adobe's sliders.

No raw converter allows you to change shooting parameters (aperture, shutter speed, and ISO) after the fact. Going back to my original point, raw data is raw data. Nikon's software does nothing special in terms of raw conversion except replicate the in-camera JPEG engine.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow