New Sigma 85mm 1.4 better than Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 ( SAL-85F14Z)?

Started Feb 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvalenzuela
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
New Sigma 85mm 1.4 better than Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 ( SAL-85F14Z)?
Feb 21, 2011

So, I got the new Sigma 85mm from Abes of Maine and I currently own the Zeiss 85mm 1.4. I pre-ordered the Sigma back in November and found a good deal on the Zeiss in Decemeber; however, I forgot to cancel the Sigma order. Now that I got both at hand, I am seeing that the Sigma is outperforming the Zeiss in almost every aspect... Can some folks please take a look at these tests and let me know what they think about the results... I am noticing the CA on the Sigma is so much controlled wide open compared to the Zeiss (I am talking about the a lot)... THe autofocus is definately faster, quieter and smoother than the zeiss, I guess I will credit the HSM on the Sigma vs the screw driven on the Zeiss. An last but not least, I am noticing the Sigma is sharper and has a bit more contrast... I am on the fence of just keeping the Sigma and putting the Zeiss up for sale... Can some folks please take a look at the results and confirm my finding... BTW, I am shotting with an A-700.
Sony Zeiss 85mm 1.4

Sony Zeiss 85mm 1.4 crop:

Sigma 85mm 1.4

Sigma 85mm 1.4 Crop:

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TestNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow