Testing my GH2's sensor

Started Feb 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
bg2b
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?
Re: Testing my GH2's sensor
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Feb 21, 2011

You'd shoot at the same aperture and shutter speed, so there's no difference in depth-of-field or motion blur. The camera will say you're underexposing. If you're not using manual mode, you'll have to dial in negative exposure compensation to tell the camera to do that. Image review will also be less useful, since the camera will be showing you the underexposed shots. That's why I said that in practice it may be easier to just let the camera use the higher ISO. Certainly if you're not risking highlight clipping--then there's no downside to letting the camera do the multiplication.

But if you're backed into a corner and think you need f/2, 1/100, ISO 3200, and as much dynamic range as you can get, and if you have time to set everything up, then theoretically you're better off shooting at f/2, 1/100, ISO 800, and then pushing it two stops in the RAW converter. You'll get two more stops of DR for highlight recovery, while your shadows will be no noiser than if you had used ISO 3200 in-camera .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow