Testing my GH2's sensor

Started Feb 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,382Gear list
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to bg2b, Feb 21, 2011

These kinds of measurements never really help my photography, but as an engineer I find them entertaining. Not surprisingly your data just about perfectly matches the DxO data.

The "fake" ISO observations are useful. Thanks for that, I was curious about that specific issue and hadn't taken the time to investigate myself.

The other thing looking at your data made me realize (should have noticed this before, for some reason your presentation just made it click in my head) is that the DxO practice of measuring DR from 0dB tends to overly penalize a camera for read noise. As an example, using the photographically useless 0dB reference gives the K5 (which has incredibly good read noise) a 3eV advantage over the GH2 while using the more appropriate 12dB point reduces the advantage down to 2eV.
--
Ken W

Rebel XT, XTi, Pany G1, LX3, FZ28, Fuji F30, and a lot of 35mm and 4x5 sitting in the closet...

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow