Software - Post Processing - What's Needed?

Started Feb 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digetydog
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
Software - Post Processing - What's Needed?
Feb 20, 2011

I am considering trying to shoot in Raw; however, I am not sure exactly what I would need to make it worth my time. Please note: I am not and never will be a professional. My job is demanding and my time with my family is very valuable. I am concerned about time, money, and ease of use.

1. Software: what kind of software would I need? I have a reasonably new Windows machine running Vista. I have fooled around with Adobe Elements and ACDSee to crop/touch photos from time time time. Do I need a full copy of Photoshop?

2. Ease of Use: Although I am reasonably computer literate, how difficult is it to master the necessary programs?

3. Time: While the cost of the programs is certainly relevant, time is more valuable.

How much of a time committment would shooting Raw entail as compared to JPG? Currently, I download my photos to my computer, sort and label them using ACDSee Photo Manager, discard bad shots, and touch up (usually just crop) photos as necessary.

Less Important: Eoes the photo software allow editing of HD Video? Why not kill two birds with one stone? The software that came with my HD Camera crashes my computer. As a result, I find it impossible to cut my family videos into managable clips.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow